That’s a fair question, one that we at Metro Water Filter of the South take very seriously. Yes, chlorine is considered unsafe to ingest, especially in larger amounts. Unfortunately, though, sometimes adding chlorine to the water is the only effective way to neutralize harmful bacteria. A chlorinator is installed when no other choice is present.
When installed as a part of a water filtration system, a chlorinator is a practical option. Naturally, we want to keep you and your family safe, not only from the harmful effects of bacteria, but also from the chemicals like chlorine that we use to treat it. If we install a chlorinator, we typically also install a carbon filter further down the line to remove the chlorine from the water once it has killed the bacteria. This means the chlorine will no longer be present in the water once it reaches your tap.