Invest in a Water Home Filter System to Minimize Eczema Symptoms!
What is eczema and how does having a water home filter system in GA help in managing the condition? Here are some things you need to know to understand the connection.
Eczema: The Basic Facts
Eczema (atopic dermatitis) is a chronic condition that causes dry, flaky, scaly, and itchy skin. Other symptoms include rashes, small bumps, thickened and leathery skin, swelling, and/or raw, sensitive skin resulting from excessive scratching. In some cases, there may also be oozing and crusting on the skin and dark circles around the eyes. Though less common, rashes may also form on more sensitive body parts.
In people with light skin tones, the rashes may have a pinkish, reddish, or purplish hue while dark-skinned people may have brown, gray, or purple rashes.
In babies under the age of 2, the symptoms are commonly found on the scalp and cheeks. For children older than 2, the symptoms usually appear on the neck, wrists, ankles, and feet, and behind the creases of the elbows, knees, and buttocks. Adults with atopic dermatitis have extremely dry skin and itchy, scaly rashes on the affected areas.
The condition is significantly more common in children (as it often starts by the age of 5) but it may persist until adulthood and affect people regardless of age.
Treating and Managing the Symptoms
Currently, there is still no definitive treatment for the condition. The doctor may prescribe a treatment plan based on the patient’s age, symptoms, and health status but this is mainly directed at healing the symptoms and preventing future flare-ups. Unfortunately, eczema can be a lifelong condition for some although others may eventually recover from the condition as they age.
Here are some useful tips to manage the symptoms, prevent outbreaks, and improve overall skin condition.
- Choose warm over hot. For best results, use a mild soap or non-soap cleanser and limit your baths or showers to 10 minutes. Installing a high-quality water home filter system in GA will also be a big help since it removes contaminants that may trigger or aggravate the condition.
- Avoid rubbing your skin with a towel after taking a shower. Gently pat it dry or air dry it instead.
- Apply a hypoallergenic moisturizer. Lock in moisture right after bathing by applying a fragrance-free and dye-free moisturizer containing petroleum jelly or mineral oil. Also avoid using moisturizers containing alcohol, preservatives, or stabilizers.
- Select the right clothing. Friction, heat, and sweat can trigger the symptoms, so wear loose or comfortable clothes made with cotton and other natural materials.
- Stay hydrated. Keep skin moist by drinking at least eight glasses of water daily.
- Use a humidifier if you lose essential skin moisture in dry or cold weather.
- Know your triggers. Prevent flare-ups by knowing and avoiding the factors that trigger your eczema. Aside from the factors mentioned earlier, eczema can also be triggered by stress, harsh chemicals, cleaning products, pet dander, dust mites, mold, pollen, and tobacco smoke.
- Consult your healthcare provider. Your doctor may prescribe anti-inflammatory medications (topical and/or oral), antibiotics, and antihistamines to help manage the condition. Some cases may also require immune system suppressants, biologic drug injections, and/or phototherapy.
Keep Eczema under Control with a Water Home Filter System in GA
While there is still no solid treatment plan for eczema, you can keep it under control by installing a high-quality water filtration system. At Metro Water Filter of the South, we are 100% committed to providing cleaner, contaminant-free water for your drinking, cooking, and bathing needs.
With over 50 years of experience in the industry, we can help you find the perfect solution for your needs. Contact Us or call us at 770-934-7991 to book your free consultation today.