Signs of Bacteria in Your Water
It’s impossible to tell, without a special test, if bacteria are present in your water. You can look for the following physical symptoms and have your water checked if any of these are present in any members of your family.
- Gastrointestinal problems (I.E. diarrhea, bloody diarrhea, vomiting, cramps, nausea)
- Legionnaire’s Disease (a type of pneumonia)
- Hemolytic uremic syndrome (red blood cells are destroyed and kidneys fail)
How Harmful is Bacteria?
We consider the presence of any bacteria in your water to be harmful. The most dangerous forms of bacteria are fecal coliform better known as E. coli. The presence of fecal coliform bacteria is a sure sign that your water has been contaminated with fecal material from humans or animals. The source water may be contaminated by pathogens, disease producing bacteria, or viruses which can also exist in fecal material. Some waterborne pathogenic diseases include typhoid fever, viral and bacterial gastroenteritis, and Hepatitis A.
Here’s a quote from the EPA:
Infection often causes severe bloody diarrhea and abdominal cramps; sometimes the infection causes non-bloody diarrhea. Frequently, no fever is present. It should be noted that these symptoms are common to a variety of diseases, and may be caused by sources other than contaminated drinking water.
In some people, particularly children under 5 years of age and the elderly, the infection can also cause a complication called hemolytic uremic syndrome, in which the red blood cells are destroyed and the kidneys fail. About 2%-7% of infections lead to this complication. In the United States, hemolytic uremic syndrome is the principal cause of acute kidney failure in children, and most cases of hemolytic uremic syndrome are caused by E. coli O157:H7. Hemolytic uremic syndrome is a life-threatening condition usually treated in an intensive care unit. Blood transfusions and kidney dialysis are often required. With intensive care, the death rate for hemolytic uremic syndrome is 3%-5%.
Metro Water Filter’s UV System
Metro’s Biolyte UV purifier utilizes high doses of ultraviolet light to sterilize water in a stainless steel disinfecting chamber. As a result of this process, harmful microorganisms, bacteria, and viruses are destroyed. This process of purification works without chemicals and leaves no residual in the water supply. It is also more cost efficient than traditional methods of water sterilization, i.e. distilling or boiling. Ultraviolet irradiation is now accepted by both the EPA and the FDA as a safe, effective method of bacteria control.
Metro’s Biolyte UV system represents the newest in UV technology. Installation and service are now easier and more convenient than ever. Our Biolyte UV purifier insures a cost effective solution to any whole house UV application. This whole house water treatment system is an affordable water treatment system to treat all of the home’s drinking, cooking and bath water.
Metro’s Biolyte UV system will disinfect the entire home’s water supply against harmful pathogenic bacteria such as:
- Bacillus anthracis
- Coliform bacteria
- Corynebacteium diphtheria
- E. Coli
- Hepatitus virus
- Influenza virus
- Polio virus
- S. typhosa
- Shigella dysenteriae
- Spirillum rubrum
- Steptoccoccus hemolyticus
- Vibrio cholerae